Hello Readers and Happy Monday!
Let’s talk about stuffed cabbage, I really enjoy this dish, it tastes great, easy plating and freezes extremely well, all of thing we want when planning dinners for ourselves during this time. Today I will share a modified version of my recipe that you can make simply at home. At home we enjoy warm spices and a little heat so I make my own chorizo sausage, but to save yourself some dish washing just buy your favorite sausage and remove the casing.
Check out the recipe below
- 1 cabbage head, separate about 10 leaves
- 1/2 gallon salted water
- 2 lbs. of sausage, (remove casing)
- 1 1/2 cups of dry quinoa
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups Tomato sauce
- about 32 oz of shredded cheese
- 1 onion diced
1) Gently peel and wash cabbage leaves. In a large pot place 1/2 gallon of salted cold water to boil.
2) While the water is heating up, in a bowl remove casing from raw sausage.
3) Next in a sauce pan, cook quinoa according to package, with bay leaf and pinch of salt, once cooked set aside to cool.
4) Once the water is boiling, boil cleaned cabbage leaves for about 2-3 min, just until pliable. Remove pliable leaves and set aside to cool on a large sheet tray or roasting pan.
5) In a sauté pan, cook sausage crumbles half way with diced onion. Set aside to cool with cooked quinoa, mixed together.
6) To assemble stuffed leaf. take 3 tbsp. of your cooked sausage, quinoa onion mixture and add in about 2 tbsp. of shredded cheese and place into base of leaf.
7) Fold in sides as you roll mixture and leaf forward.
8) Repeat this until all mixture is gone.
9) Next pour tomato sauce over stuffed leaves and remainder of shredded cheese. Bake in 375 degree oven for no more than 25 min.
10) Serve hot!
If you try this recipe let me know in the comments below or on social media!
Until Next Time, Cheers!